Vitamins and supplements formulated specially to help with hair loss have been aggressively hitting the market and media lately. Few took our attention that we think are worth analyzing. One of the most popular is Viviscal, and that’s the one we are reviewing today.
What Is Viviscal?
Viviscal is a 100% drug-free hair growth dietary supplement sold and marketed by a company called Lifes2Good. The company insists that the right way to grow thicker and healthier hair is by way of exemplary nutrition.
Their main products are three separate lines of vitamins: Viviscal Extra Strength for women, Viviscal for Man, and Viviscal Professional. Each blend ensures that both men and women get enough individual building blocks necessary to produce thick, healthy hair.
It seems that this program is particularly focusing on women, mainly because the company recognizes that women’s hair loss is different from male pattern baldness, and it should be approached differently.
For more detail on differences between Viviscal Man VS, Extra Strenght for women read here.
Viviscal Professional is a slightly stronger and more expensive version of the product, and until recently, it was sold by either dermatologist, hair salon, or spa. It can be found on Amazon.com where often can be out of stock.
You don’t need a prescription for either of these products.
Does Viviscal Work?
There are several clinical studies performed on this product that has shown a variety of positive results. An earlier study published in 1992 was carried out on 40 young adult men and lasted for 24 weeks. At the end of the study, 20 men, who were put on both placebo and Viviscal pills, showed a 38% increase in hair while those that were exclusively in placebo showed a 2% increase. This result proved its credibility.
Another study published in 2014 that was carried out on 40 women and lasted for 40 weeks. This research was done to determine how women perceive this hair supplement performance in reversing thinning hair. At the end of this study, 16 women completed the research giving it an overall 46 percent reduction in hair loss.
What are the Ingredients in Viviscal Vitamin Supplements?
AminoMar® is the principal component in all Viviscal hair growth supplements that contributes to the nourishment of the scalp and the growth of hair. According to information provided by the company via press releases, there are around 22% active proteins in this product. Most of them are found in AminoMar Marine Complex.
This original formula is based on the discoveries made while studying the Inuit people of the far north around the Arctic Circle. There, Scandinavian researchers were puzzled by the excellent health of the people who are living in the harshest climate known to man.
In this environment, their hair, which is an often indicator of health and well-being, should have been thin and brittle. Instead, it was thick and luxurious.
The researchers began to work in isolating this factor, and the results of their findings are now incorporated into AminoMar, which is the heart of Viviscal. A 100%, all-natural dietary supplement that you can buy without a doctor’s prescription. And it is safe and backed by 20 years of clinical research and seven scientific studies that prove its effectiveness. It is a perfect mix of some essential ingredients and proteins.
Some people have concerns about the exact origins of the proteins used for formulating the AminoMar complex. It is a legitimate question because, on the ingredients label, the primary sources of protein are shark cartilage and oyster meat. Shark fishing is somewhat controversial these days, and many people are concerned if the shark protein is sourced ethically. Here is the company’s answer to this concern: Viviscal also contains Acerola Cherry. This ingredient is also called Malpighia Glabra, which is considered to be one of the best sources of Vitamin C. Acerola Cherry commonly grows in Southern Texas and South Carolina. These days, it is also being planted in many regions, including the Caribbean and Brazil. This ingredient has a lot of antioxidant properties that improve the overall health of your hair follicles.
Another component is Horsetail extract, also called Equisetum Arvense. It has 16 documented benefits not only for your hair growth but general overall health as well. It is a common ingredient in many products that treat male pattern baldness.
Many herbalists believe that horsetail extract increases the blood circulation to the scalp. Together, AminoMar and Horsetail strengthen the hair follicles and improve the health of the root itself. It is one of the most effective ingredients in Viviscal to help against hair loss.
Also, like other hair growth products, Viviscal uses the power of Biotin to help fight against hair loss. This vitamin has been studied for many years to find the exact role it plays in hair growth. Studies have shown, those who are lacking this crucial vitamin often experience thinning hair. Though Biotin is found in foods like egg yolks and liver, the average person may not get enough Biotin from diet alone.
There are also some inactive ingredients, including fillers like hypromellose and microcrystalline cellulose. This product also contains magnesium stearate (oil to speed up the tablet manufacturing process) and natural orange flavor. The presence of glycerol keeps these pills soft and allows them to dissolve quickly in your body.
As before mentioned, Viviscal main component is a fish extract, and it might not be suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
However, Viviscal does not contain soy, nuts, gluten, eggs, or wheat.
Precautions and Possible Side Effects
Over recent years, Viviscal products have been accused of causing certain side effects. Some of which are cystic acne, insomnia, and even weight gain.
Clinical research has revealed that cystic acne (a condition that is characterized by the blockage of hair follicles by dead skin cells, sebum, and even bacteria) is mostly caused by genetic factors, hormonal imbalance, anxiety, and high-stress levels.
And when it comes to insomnia and weight gain, there is no evidence to support that Viviscal or any marine extract specifically can lead to this condition.
This dietary supplement is 100% drug-free, which effectively eliminates the risk of its users developing any dependency on it, as most drug-based products are noted for.
Taken with the doctor recommended dosage, Viviscal recovers, and strengthens your hair with virtually no side effects. Nevertheless, you should check with your doctor if for any reason think or in doubt that some of the points below apply to you before taking Viviscal:
- Fish allergies – The most important side effect to look after. The main component AminoMar is a marine protein complex; people with fish or shellfish allergies should avoid using this product.
- Being an indigestible medication, it a good practice to first check with the doctor since it could negatively interact with other medications to bring adverse effects.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers should not take it for its presence in the breast milk or effect on the baby has not been ascertained.
- Increased greasing of the scalp has been reported by consumers at the beginning of the treatment. The reason might be the nutritional boost the scalp is receiving, and it needs some time for adjustment.
Dosage, Directions And How Soon Should You Expect Results
Viviscal comes in tablet form. It needs to be taken twice every day. The best way to take these tablets is once early in the day and once at night. The tablets need to be taken with water and food. Since the tablets are not very big, they are easy to swallow. They don’t cause any stomach upset. According to most customer reviews, these tablets don’t even taste bad.
These tablets need to be taken for a minimum of 6 months. The product works in a gradual cascade, and according to the many reviews and testimonials, results are sometimes even observable after three months of use.
The AminoMar molecules, minerals, vitamins, and sea extracts, consistently provide the much-needed nourishment to the hair follicles throughout this initial period. With continuous intake, the hair finally achieves optimum nourishment, making it more robust, healthier, and natural-looking.
It is recommended that Viviscal vitamins be taken in addition to a healthy diet of high-quality protein.
What Do Real Testimonies Say About Viviscal?
There are plenty of reviews all over the internet, ranging from happy customers, celebrities, hairdressers who have seen firsthand the gradual effects of Viviscal on their clients and even hair transplant doctors amazed by the performance of this product.
For the most part, when reading through the reviews, it seems like consumers of this product bought it at first without expecting it to work, but they were pleasantly surprised afterward.
A female customer aged 45. This is her personal review after a massive loss of hair and thinning as a result of using blood pressure management drugs:
Why Do We Like Viviscal Supplements For Hair?
This line of hair products is acknowledged to be the world leader dietary supplement for hair. This can be attributed to the following factors:
- 100 % natural product – The most significant advantage this supplement has over the competition is that it is made from 100 % natural, sustainable ingredients, which means low risk of chemical toxicity and minimal side effects.
- Ease of use – Being a vitamin supplement intended for oral use Viviscal fits well into a busy person’s schedule. The tablets can be easily swallowed since they are not very big.
- Accessibility – As before mentioned, Viviscal is easily accessible because you don’t need a prescription from a doctor to buy it.
- Highly researched – The company has invested enormously in its research, making this product one of the most studied, tried, and tested by both researchers and users.
- AminoMar – Viviscal is the only certified hair product in the market that is formulated with AminoMar complex amino acid. This molecule is solely responsible for its desired effects in giving thin hair its nutritional requirements and boosts its regeneration.
- Unisex use – Unlike some other hair loss products in the market, they have a formula specially formulated for both men and women.
- All-in-one program – Viviscal incorporates supplements with other treatments against hair loss, like shampoo, conditioner, serum, and hair filler fibers.
- Major exposure and credibility – Viviscal is one of the hair products that have been reviewed in The Dr. Oz Show watched by millions all over the world. Also, celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Rob Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, and others admit to using this supplement. Most of these celebrities don’t have hair loss issues. They just use it because it has been recommended by their doctor or cosmetologist to improve the quality and appearance of their hair.
Where To Buy Viviscal Vitamin Supplements?
If all other hair growth products like shampoo, conditioners, foams or creams don’t work for you, then maybe its time to try an oral supplement.
Note – It is crucial to be careful when buying Viviscal products or any other supplements from online markets. Do scrutiny of their reputation and only order for the product from certified manufacturers, distributors, and retailers to avoid counterfeits and scams. Some of the recommended retail partners outlined on their website are Walgreens, Target, CVS Pharmacy, RiteAid, FaceValues, Ulta, Walmart, Vitamin Discount Center, and Mayer.
Viviscal.com offers the product online with free shipping and 90 days money-back guarantee, during which if you don’t get the desired results, you can get your refund back.
However, Viviscal also sells its products on Amazon.com, where it should be the first place to look at because we found the price to be often cheaper there than anywhere else, including Viviscal.com.